Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of Laleston Community Council held at Bryntirion & Laleston Community Centre on 16 June 2022 commencing at 7.00pm.
Present:. Cllr’s A Berrow, JP Blundell, Z Blundell, C Davies, D Harrison, P King, S Philpin, S Richmond, I Spiller and C Webster.
In attendance: Gail Jewell
1. 19.1055 Council undertook a period of silent reflection.
2. 19.1056 Apologies for absence. Cllr’s J Cook, V James and C Smith
3. 19.1057Representation from members of the public. None
4. 19.1058 Items of business that the Chair deems urgent. None
5. 19.1059 Declarations of Interest.
Cllr A Berrow – Item 15 – Prejudicial Interest as a Member of Bridgend County Borough Council Planning Committee.
Cllr D Harrison – Item 15 – Prejudicial Interest as a member of Bridgend County Borough Council Planning Committee.
6. 19.1060 Approval of Minutes.
Resolved: That the minutes of the annual meeting of Council and the ordinary meeting of Council that took place on 19 May 2022 be approved as a true and accurate record. Proposed by Cllr I Spiller and seconded by Cllr S Philpin.
7. 19.1061 Finance update:
· Members noted the Bank Reconciliation as at the end of May 2022.
· Council approved payments which were presented with the agenda which included vouchers numbers 27 – 39. Proposed by Cllr I Spiller and seconded by Cllr S Philpin.
· Council approved receipts which were presented with the agenda which included voucher numbers 18 – 29. Proposed by Cllr I Spiller and seconded by Cllr JP Blundell.
· Council approved a list of salary payments for May 2022 which were presented with the agenda and can be viewed here. Proposed by Cllr A Berrow and Seconded by Cllr S Philpin.
8. 19.1062 To comment and approve Laleston Community Council Annual Report 2021-2022.
The Clerk explained that the Local Government and Elections (Wales) Act 2021 had created a new duty on Town and Community Council’s to produce and publish an annual report. The report is to provide greater transparency and awareness of the work of community Council and therefore presented a draft annual report for comment and or approval.
Resolved: Members thanked the Clerk for producing the report and duly agreed to approve its content and for publication of the document.
- 19.1063 To receive an update from the Clerk
The Clerk provided a brief update on the meeting held with the veterans at Laleston Allotments regarding Plot 32, whereby a poster had been produced and circulated via social media. Although due to the lack of uptake, Cllr P King suggested that she contact the veteran on site to offer an informal approach of contact between potential additional veterans to work on site.
With reference to the tree that had been planted in Blandy Hall garden, for the Queen’s Jubilee, the Clerk suggested that a gathering take place to celebrate the fact, and that all staff and old and new Members of Council be invited.
Resolved: Council agreed:
- that the contact details of veteran working on Plot 32 be provided to Cllr P King.
- to progress with the social gathering on 6 August 2022 and to invite all staff and old and new Members of Council.
10. 19.1064 To discuss increasing delivery amount for Bryntirion Community Pantry
As requested by Council at the previous meeting, the Clerk presented costings to increase the amount of food delivered but explained that the volunteers had suggested that due to a decrease in sales over the past few weeks, that Council monitor usage prior to amending the current membership.
A Member queried that if Council extended our food membership to included chilled food, would another establishment be able to retain on our behalf to avoid any further food hygiene requirements.
Resolved: Members agreed to monitor usage of the add the costings of increasing the amount of food delivered to the next meeting of Council. In addition, the Clerk was asked to investigate the possibility of an external establishment being able to retain chilled food for the Community Pantry on the Council’s behalf.
11. 19.1064 To discuss arrangements for the OAP Annual Christmas Luncheon
Resolved: Following deliberation, Council agreed to host the OAP Luncheon this year on 18 December 2022. In addition, Members agreed to explore the possibility of holding the Luncheon at Bryntirion & Laleston Community Centre and hiring cooking equipment. Clerk to add this item for further discussion at the next meeting of Council.
12. 19.1065 To discuss and nominate for any vacancies for School Governor
The Clerk provided an update on vacancies for School Governor across the ward areas.
- Cllr C Webster was nominated for the vacancy at Llangewydd Junior School.
- Cllr S Philpin was nominated for the vacancy at Bryntirion Infant School.
- Clerk to add the vacancy for Trelales Primary School for a nomination at the next meeting of Council.
13. 19.1066 To receive quotations, if any.
|Quotations Received||· Comment|
|1||Mobile PhoneEE SIM only deal
£11.40 a month plus VAT per SIM
£20 cash back
|Resolved: Members questioned what was included in this deal and to seek comparisons to be presented to the next meeting of Council.|
|2||Playpark MaintenanceSupplier a – 11 monthly and 1 x Annual £1605.00
Supplier b – Asked to tender – no response
Supplier c – Contact made and chased – no response
|Resolved: Council agreed to progress with the quotation received from Supplier a.|
14. 19.1067 To receive Personnel Issues, if any.
The Clerk explained to Council that the Facilities Assistant had returned to work but was currently on lighter duties and that following a meeting held with the Facilities Officer and Assistant where weekly hours were discussed, it was proposed that the Facilities Assistant would temporarily remain on his contracted weekly hours of 6.
Resolved: Council agreed that the Facilities Assistant would maintain a 6-hour contract.
14. 19.1068 To receive Correspondence, if any
|Correspondence Received||· Comment|
|1.||The Clerk confirmed that the Footpath Survey Report had now been completed and will be circulated to all Members by email.||Resolved: Duly noted by Council.|
|2.||A query had been received from a member of the public regarding the speed bump/s at Banc-yr-Allt.||Resolved: Members agreed to add this item for further discussion at the next meeting of Council.|
15. 19.1069 To consider Planning Applications
|Planning Application No.: P/22/307/FULApplicant: Mr B Marshall
Location: 118 Wood Green Cefn Glas CF31 4DY
Proposal: Two storey side extension over garage incorporating roof space; conversion of existing roof space to living accommodation; inclusion of land within curtilage
|Planning Application No.: T/22/17/TPOApplicant: Mr B Marshall
Location: 118 Wood Green Cefn Glas CF31 4DY
Proposal: Works to 2 oak trees: Remove one and replant; 30% reduction of end weighted limbs on north-west side of tree, rebalance crown and remove deadwood
|Members requested that clarification is sought regarding the impact of the removal of the tree would have on birds, bats and other wildlife.|
|Planning Application No.: P/22/336/FULApplicant: Mr J O Gorman
Location: 12 Tennyson Drive Cefn Glas Bridgend CF31 4PU
Proposal: Front and rear flat roofed dormer extension
There being no further business, the meeting ended at 7.45 pm.
The next meeting will be held on Thursday 21 July 2022 and will commence at 7.00pm.