Laleston Community Council
Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of Laleston Community Council held remotely on 17 September 2020 commencing at 7.00pm.
Present: Cllr’s A Berrow, B Davies, C Davies, P Davies, M Fouracre, J P Blundell, C Green, T Green, C Smith and D Wooldridge
In attendance: Clerk – Gail Jewell
1 19.268 Council undertook a period of silent reflection.
2. 19.269 Apologies for Absence: Cllr I Spiller
3. 19.270 Declarations of Interest: Cllr J P Blundell – Item 13 – Prejudicial Interest as Member of the Planning Committee at Bridgend County Borough Council (BCBC). The Clerk – Item 11 – Prejudicial Interest as a member of staff of Laleston Community Council (LCC).
4. 19.271 Council received the Minutes from the previous Council meeting held on 16 July 2020 and Approved them as a true and accurate record. Proposed by Cllr C Green and seconded by Cllr J P Blundell.
5. 19.272 The Clerk presented a list of actions carried out since the last meeting, which were as follows:
- Covid-19 risk assessments had been completed for playparks, all of which had safely reopened with relevant signage installed.
- Covid-19 risk assessments had been completed for safely re-opening Blandy Hall with the assistance of Shared Regulatory Services. The hall had undergone a deep clean undertaken by DeVere bio hygiene and relevant certificates had been obtained. Covid-19 signage had been produced and provided throughout the hall. The hall is now hired out on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday for childcare purposes, which adheres to government guidelines.
- The notice of vacancy for LCC had been received and is displayed in Bryntirion, the closing date being 21 September 2020.
- 10 extra Christmas lights had been ordered and delivered. Additional sockets are now required to be installed by BCBC.
6. 19.273 Council considered quotations received were presented.
|To replace the gate at the allotment site to suit both vehicle and pedestrian access. £1550 to measure, manufacture and install.||Clerk to circulate details of gate and defer item to the next meeting.|
Discussions took place regarding LCC acquiring a van for the Facility Officer to transport building materials from site to site. Options to be presented at next Council.
7. 19.273 Bryntirion Community Centre
The Clerk reported that all building works were currently on schedule and that the insurance company had been informed that the building would not open until 23 November 2020 at the earliest.
With reference to the recently reported issues of antisocial behavior on the grounds of the centre, it was confirmed that the gate to the carpark was now being locked every evening. Although this had curbed the amount of cars frequenting in the grounds, the issue of antisocial behaviour and litter still remains a problem.
The Project Group confirmed that the next meeting with the contractors and Hurley Davies is scheduled for 10.00am on 30 September 2020.
A Member questioned if the new lease for the centre had been provided by BCBC. Clerk to investigate and provide an update at the next meeting of Council.
8. 19.274 Blandy Hall
The Clerk reported issues with the roof of Blandy Hall, whereby the roof felt had fallen behind the soffits and required replacing. Quotations had been sought to undertake the aforementioned roofing work and to include new flooring, internal and external doors that has previously been agreed at Council.
9. 19.275 Laleston Allotments
In response to the request that allotment holders be mindful of their speed when entering and leaving the site by car, it has been queried if a 5mph sign should be installed. Following discussions, Council confirmed that as the majority of traffic is due to allotment holders travelling to and from site, that a notice on the board for all tenants would be sufficient.
The Clerk confirmed that the first Annual Meeting of the Allotment Committee had taken place and that Sue Roper was voted Chairperson and Site Representative, Paul Raybone as Vice Chair and Rebecca Marks as Secretary.
9. 19. 276 The Clerk provided a Finance Update:
i. Members noted the Bank Reconciliation for August and September 2020.
ii. Members noted the list of uncashed payments as of 1 September 2020.
iii. Council approved payments for vouchers 81-160 as presented with the agenda that can be viewed here.
iv. Council approved receipts for vouchers 11 – 13 as presented with the agenda that can be viewed here.
v. Council noted the S137 payments as of 1 September 2020.
vi. Council noted the summary of receipts and payments as of 1 September 2020.
10. 19.277 Personnel Issues
The following resolutions were made:
- The HR Committee agreed their Terms of Reference;
- The Chair shall undertake an appraisal for the Clerk;
- The Clerk will undertake appraisals for Facilities Officer and Community Development Officer;
- Council requested that the Clerk undertake the CiLCA course and any other relevant training pertaining to Health and Safety and COVID-19;
- Council requested that all staff produce a copy of their drivers licence and car insurance, which will be held on file.
|Email from Scout Group Chair regarding donation towards Scout Hall rent – happy to donate again this year?||Council agreed to a donation for the Scout Hall rent.|
|Email from BCBC asking LCC if we would like to engage with them regarding the BCBC Budget Consultation by attending one of our meetings between 19 October and 13 December 2020.||Council agreed to invite BCBC to attend the Council meeting scheduled for 19 November 2020|
|Email from Welsh Hearts Charity stating that they would like to work with LCC to place more lifesaving defibrillators throughout the community.||Council agreed to investigate further|
|Email received from Sue Ford outlining a response from Rev Anthony Beer confirming that Blandy Trust plan to restore the administrative structure to regularise the lease position to enable a greater degree of certainty for all parties.||Council noted the correspondence and outlined that it would be timely to make contact to offer assistance with the Membership of Blandy Trust|
|Email from Mudiad Meithrin outlining requirements for the nursery room to adhere to Care Inspectorate Wales Regulations. Which include a food preparation area and sink in the nursery room; 2 toilets for the sole use by the children; the existing fire door will need to be used from both sides.||Council agreed to hold a special meeting to discuss these issues further|
|Emails regarding overgrown trees in Pen Maen, Llys Pentre and Llys Fitzhamon. Explore possibility of covering short fall in hedge cutting and tree pruning?||Noted by Council. BCBC Councillors agreed to collate information prior to contacting BCBC for a resolution.|
|Email from Llanmoor Homes inviting LCC to meet and discuss the proposed development for the ‘Land West of Bridgend’ as outlined in the LDP.||Council stated that any meetings should be arranged through the appropriate channels – i.e. BCBC|
12 19.279 To consider Planning Applications received:
Applicant: Mr R Chalmers
Location: 22 Clos Y Gog Broadlands CF31 5FP
Proposal: Single storey rear flat roof extension with roof terrace
Date: 26 August 2020
Applicant: Laleston Community Council
Location: Bryntirion & Laleston Community Centre Mount Pleasant Bryntirion CF31 4ET
Proposal: Increase depth of 3no. windows to east elevation to 1300mm and to provide new security
screen guards, and retention of new emergency exit door with security shutter to west elevation
Date: 26 August 2020
Applicant: Mr J Griffiths
Location: 2 Cwrt Yr Efail Broadlands Bridgend CF31 5EZ
Proposal: Proposed dormer / study above detached double garage
Date: 27 August 2020
Applicant: Elaine Lai
Location: 9 Clos Manteg Broadlands CF31 5BY
Proposal: Single storey rear extension
Date: 4 September 2020
Applicant: Mrs L Jones
Location: 19 Ton Tylluan Broadlands CF31 5BE
Proposal: Proposed garage conversion to playroom and first floor extension to provide bedroom
Date: 4 September 2020
Applicant: Mr L Healey
Location: 1 The Square Laleston CF32 0HT
Proposal: Roof terrace above rear extension
Date: 15 September 2020
There being no further business, the meeting ended at 7.50pm.
The next meeting will be held remotely on Thursday 15 October 2020.