Minutes of Meeting – Thursday 21st July 2016

Minutes of Meeting – Thursday 21st July 2016

Minutes of a meeting of Laleston Community Council

Held at the Blandy Hall – Thursday 21st July, 2016

Present: Councillors Pam Davies, Kathy Lewis,

Ian Spiller, Cheryl Green, Tom Green, Dan Woolridge,

Mark Fouracre, Steve Sloan.

Cllr Tony Berrow in the Chair.

16/104 Silent Reflection

Councillors held a period of silent reflection in memory of Rhys Rubery.

16/105 Apologies

Apologies were received from Cllr’s Briony Davies, Hazel Kendall and David Harrison

16/106 To consider suspension of meeting to receive representations from local residents, if in attendance at meeting.

None present.

16/107 Declarations of Interest

Cllr Pam Davies Agenda Items: 17 BCBC Member

Cllr Cheryl Green Agenda Items: 17 BCBC Member

Cllr Kathy Lewis Agenda Items: 6 School Governor

16/108 Minutes of previous meeting

It was resolved that the Minutes of the previous meeting be accepted as true and that they reflected the discussions and outcomes therein. The Chair signed the minutes.

16/109 Matters arising from Minutes

16/90 Cllr Pam Davies confirmed that she has spoken to the officer at BCBC and they stated that no parking tickets have been issued from BCBC and that only the police have issued tickets to those who parked over resident’s driveways. Cllr Pam Davies confirmed that she had attended with the police to look at the problems of car parking on the side of the roads in Broadlands during school drop off and pick up times and confirmed that she will be meeting with an officer from BCBC to address making it a clearway so that no parking can take place on the roadside.

Cllr Cheryl Green reported that she had a site meeting with an officer from BCBC at Heol Trelales and confirmed that one set of yellow lines could be removed it residents agree. Cllr Cheryl Green suggested that Councillors enquire with the residents to see if there would be any objections.

RESOLVED: Cllr Pam Davies and Cllr Cheryl Green confirmed that they will visit the residents at Heol Trelales.

16/97 Cllr Mark Fouracre reported that 2 bins have been installed on the footpath in Broadlands, Cllr Ian Spiller stated that the 2 freestanding bins are still required.

16/94 The Clerk confirmed that she has been issued the Notice of Election requesting that nomination papers be submitted by noon on Friday 29th July, 2016. If the election is contested the poll will take place on Thursday 25th August, 2016.

16/110 Llangewydd School MUGA Update.

The Clerk confirmed that a further meeting had taken place at the school with officers from BCBC, the retiring Head Teacher, new Head Teacher, Chair of Governors and Vice Chair. The school produced a copy of their Community Use Management Scheme for the use of the MUGA. Cllr Cheryl Green requested Council to consider some amendments. The document was circulated to all Councillors who all agreed to the amendments. Cllr Berrow asked if Council were willing to take the added cost of ducting out of the original quotation in which all agreed. Cllr Berrow confirmed that the additional CCTV camera to be installed is costing £700.

16/111 Website Design/Updating

Cllr Ian Spiller confirmed that the website and e-mail exchange has now taken place. He confirmed that the old webpage will stay for the time being whilst the new webpage is being built in the background. Cllr Ian Spiller confirmed that he will progress with the new website.

16/112 Proposed Disabled Play Ground at Bryntirion

The Clerk confirmed that a further quotation had been sought from Sutcliffe Play which included the additional costs for fencing to be provided for both Options 1 & 2. Option 1 would incur an additional cost of £3688.00 and Option 2 £4740.00. The Clerk confirmed that after speaking to the Parks Officer that the option of fencing the playground would not be a good idea as residents tend to use the area to secure their dogs. He confirmed that complaints have been received about the use of the swing gates with children being hit by them when and further advised that planning permission may not be granted.

RESOLVED: Cllr Cheryl Green requested that this project be moved forward and Cllr Ian Spiller seconded the movement. Cllr Tom Green asked that the Clerk inform Neil Robinson of the proposed project. Cllr Steve Sloan requested that Council consider applying for grant funding from the Big Lottery to assist with the project.

16/113 Proposal of the Purchase of Play area at Broadlands

The Clerk confirmed that she had requested a site inspection of the play equipment by Sutcliffe Play and reported that there is some wear on the flooring but advised that the play area be inspected by an accredited inspector and that once the certificate has been received that this document be presented to the developer for them to rectify before the purchase takes place.

RESOLVED: Cllr Cheryl Green requested that the Clerk seek advice from BCBC into the process in adopting the area from Persimmon and also issues with drainage at the site.

16/114 Christmas Lights

The Clerk confirmed that the locations for the new Christmas lights have been identified and reported to BCBC. She confirmed that extra lights have been located from the traffic lights leading to Bryntirion as far as Bryntirion Comprehensive School, further lights have been added towards Laleston and additional lights have also been ordered for roundabouts in Broadlands and the tree opposite the traffic lights at Bryntirion.

16/115 Bench and Bus Shelter by Gypsy Lane, Laleston

Cllr Tom Green reported that the bus shelter by Gypsy Lane is in need of repair and the bench located in front of the shelter is broken. He asked if Council would consider moving the bus shelter on the concrete and have an enclosed shelter. Cllr Mark Fouracre proposed that the Clerk and Chair look into Adshel for the installation of the new bus shelter to include seating.

16/116 Allotments Footpath

The Chair confirmed that he and the Clerk had attended the allotments and confirmed that the 2 paths that need refurbishing are 100 metres long and 60 metres in length, he suggested kick boards either side and dust and chippings to be installed but expressed concern where the water pipes are located.

Council agreed that a notice be put up to inform tenants that work will be taking place. Cllr Cheryl Green stated that the next suitable plot that becomes available for access be adapted for disabled use and advised the Clerk to contact VIS who have disabled allotments in Maesteg.

16/117 Finance Update

Accounts for Payment – June 2016

Description Amount inc VAT
TSO Host – Pro-hosting of Council’s website 109.98
Members expenses 600.00
Chair’s allowance 500.00
St David’s Church Laleston Committee – Grant for fete 500.00
Laleston Gardening Club – Grant for works at Cliff Cottage 1525.00
Communicorp – Annual subscription for Clerks and Councils Direct 120.00
Jonathan Hurley Design – 10,000 Laleston Stones Trail leaflets 1660.00
Norman Davies – Internal Annual Audit 120.00
McColls – 12 x 1st class stamps 10.47
SET – Purchase of leaflet holders 74.40
TSO Host – Mailbox exchange 99.00
£5,318.85

Budget update as at 30th June, 2016

The Clerk produced spreadsheet of the budget and expenditure as at 30th June, 2016.

The Clerk confirmed that she and Cllr Berrow had visited Jon Hurley designs for the information board at the meadowland at Broadlands and received a quotation of £980.00 plus VAT. Council agreed to add to the agenda for the next meeting with all costings.

Cllr Tony Berrow reported that after a visit to the Rights of Way at BCBC, he was informed that they had some funding available to provide a further Information Board to be installed for the Laleston Stones Trail and stated that the ideal place would be that of Merthyr Mawr.

RESOLVED: That the Clerk contact Merthyr Mawr Community Council to seek permission for the Information Board to be installed.

16/118 Correspondence June/July 2016

· Letter received from Shelter Cymru asking for a donation to support and improve the lives of people in Bridgend living at risk of losing their homes or living in poor housing conditions. Council agreed that more details would be required.

· Request received from Bridgend Town Council to ask if the annual Boules Match is going ahead this year is which they would provide the refreshments.

RESOLVED: Council agreed a date to be scheduled for 9th September starting at 6.00pm.

16/119 Reports and Observations Received June/July 2016

1. Cllr Dave Harrison reported that 2 street lights on Elm Crescent were not working. Clerk confirmed that she had reported to Highways and the lights were checked on 4th July, 2016.

2. Cllr Dave Harrison reported that 2 pot holes had appeared at Broadoak Way. Clerk confirmed that she had reported to Custcare and a response was received to repair as soon as possible.

3. Cllr Ian Spiller reported that the street signs at Trem y Duffryn and Maes Trawscoed are illegible and require replacing. Clerk confirmed she had reported to Highways on 8th July, 2016.

4. Cllr Ian Spiller reported that the hedge at the bottom of Gentle Way/Trem y Dyffryn require cutting back as it is obscuring the road sign. Clerk confirmed she had reported to Custcare on 8th July, 2016.

5. Cllr Ian Spiller reported that the footpath at the bottom of Careg Llwyd opposite Maes y Fedwen requires cutting back. Clerk confirmed that she had reported to Custcare on 8th July 2016.

6. Cllr Tony Berrow reported that the footpath at the bottom of Greystone is severely overgrown each side and requires cutting back. Clerk confirmed that she had reported to Custcare on 8th July, 2016.

7. Cllr Dave Harrison reported that the street light outside of number 11 Elm Crescent is currently not working. Clerk confirmed that she reported to Custcare on 11th July, 2016.

8. Cllr David Harrison reported that there is a loose curb stone sticking out onto the road from Laleston just after the bus stop leading to the Broadlands traffic light. Clerk confirmed that she reported to Custcare on 13th July, 2016.

9. Cllr Ian Spiller reported the concern regarding safety and speed of traffic on the A48 following an accident involving a young boy.

10. Cllr Tom Green following requests from parents at Trelales School have asked if the council would agree to move the existing goal post to the edge of the grassed area and re-instate the other goal post at the other end so the smaller children can play on the grassed area and use the 2 goal posts. The parents are happy to do the work themselves if the council would give agreement as one parent has a construction company.

The Clerk confirmed that she has sent an e-mail to BCBC to ask if this can be achieved.

11. Cllr Steve Sloan requested that action needs to be taken about the speed on the A48 following the tragic death of Rhys Rubery. Cllr Spiller confirmed that a campaign has taken place and asked that the Council fully support the campaign that the speed needs to be reduced immediately. Cllr Spiller stated there needs to be a speed restriction of 40mph implemented, to have a safe crossing on this stretch of road and a footpath on the Broadlands side of the road needs to be built leading from the roundabout at Broadlands up until the safe crossing/traffic lights. Cllr Cheryl Green confirmed that the police were also present when 3 vehicles turned right from Merthyr Mawr Road onto the A48 junction. Cllr Tony Berrow suggested that Merthyr Mawr Community Council, Bridgend Town Council and Laleston Community Council work together. Cllr Steve Sloan proposed that Council move this proposal forward to support the campaign that a speed restriction is implemented, a safe crossing be installed as well as extending the footbath from the Broadlands roundabout. Cllr Ian Spiller seconded the proposal.

RESOLVED: That the Clerk write to Bridgend Town Council and Merthyr Mawr Community Council asking for their support.

12. Cllr Tom Green requested that following the installation of the honour board in Blandy Hall that the existing pictures be offered to past Chairs.

16/120 Planning Applications – June/July 2016

The following planning applications/appeals have been made during the past month:-

Cllr Kathy Lewis declared an interest in P/16/445/FUL

REFERENCE

/DATE

PROPOSAL LOCATION
P/16/445/FUL – 21/6/16 Single storey front extension with balcony above, first floor front extension and single storey rear extension 40 Church View, Laleston
P/16/483/FUL Conversion of existing garage to form living accommodation. 17, Cwrt Newydd, Broadlands
T/16/42/TPO Fell decayed and dangerous ash tree 13, Westward Place, Llangewydd Court. CF31 4XA
P/16/547/FUL Extension & enhancement of existing Penybont Football Club facilities inc. extend stand to accom. 518 seats, new turnstile with payment booth, extend parking, TV gantry, bar cellar extension and amended site access layout. Penybont Football Club, Bryntirion Park, Llangewydd Road. Bridgend. CF31 4JU

P/16/547/FUL Objection due to the volume of traffic and unsuitability of the highway, playground opposite and bus route.

The meeting closed at 9.15pm

…………………………………………………………. Chairperson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.